Fig Crescents, Italian Style
- 3 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 TBS. Baking powder
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk
Ingredients for Filling:
- ¾ cup dried figs, chopped
- ¾ cup dates, pitted and chopped
- ¾ cup pine nuts
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp. Ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- Mix butter and sugar and beat until creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla to butter/sugar mixture and beat until fluffy, but not stiff.
- Combine with flour mixture.
- Add milk.
- Divide dough into quarters and flatten into disks.
- Wrap discs in plastic and refrigerate for approximately 30 minutes.
To Prepare Filling:
- In a food processor combine all ingredients except egg, to make a paste.
Instructions For Assembling Cookies:
- Lightly flour a flat surface.
- Roll one dough piece into a rectangle approx. 9 x 6 inches.
- Cut rectangle into nine pieces approx. 3 x 2 each.
- Place a well-rounded teaspoon of filling down center of each piece (lengthwise)
- Fold along sides of the dough to meet in the center and pinch together with fingers or a fork to seal tightly.
- Place seam side down on a greased cookie sheet.
- Fold ends to shape like a crescent (half-moon)
- Cut 3 slits into the top of each cookie.
- Brush lightly with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden - but not dark.
- Cool on wire racks.
- If you'd like you can add multicolored sprinkles after the egg wash to give the cookies a more festive appearance.
- These cookies freeze very well.
Top of Page
Back to Christmas Cookies