- 1 cup Butter (not margarine)
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose Flour
- ¼ tsp. Salt
Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla.
- Mix flour and salt, then beat into butter mixture until thoroughly
blended, to make a soft dough.
- Dust work surface with flour, pat dough into rectangle about ½ inch thick
- Cut into 1" bars.
- Use spatula to transfer bars to ungreased cookie sheet, 1" apart
- . Prick each bar with fork several times.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly colored.
- Be careful not to overbake. The bars should not brown.
- Let cool on cookie sheet for one minute, then transfer to wire racks.
Nut Shortbread: add ¼ cup finely chopped toasted nuts to flour mixture
- Butterscotch Shortbread: add ¼ cup Butterscotch chips to
- Mint Shortbread: add ¼ cup mint chocolate chips to flour mixture
- Orange-Chocolate Chip Shortbread: add 1 tsp. grated orange rind and ¼ cup
miniature semisweet chocolate chips to flour mixture.
- Lemon Shortbread: add 1 tsp. grated lemon rind to flour mixture.
- Fruit shortbread: add ¼ cup candied fruit to flour mixture
Top of Page
Back to Christmas Cookies