Yau Gwok (Deep Fried Puffs)
- 5 ounces white all-purpose flour
- 1 TBS. Grated or flake coconut
- 1-½ TBS peanuts - mashed
- 1 TBS. White sesame seeds quickly and lightly fried
- 1 TBS. Granulated sugar
- 4 TBS vegetable oil
- 4 TBS water
Sift the flour and divide in 2 portions
- Into one portion add water and knead into dough
- Add oil into other portion and knead into dough
- Mix the two together and knead until soft.
- Roll into a thin, but sturdy sheet.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut into individual circles.
- Mix together coconut, peanuts, sesame seeds and sugar. Add a little water and oil for texture.
- Place a small amount on the round dough
- Fold over and seal and form into a half moon shape.
- Deep-fry until golden brown.
- Drain and serve .
- 6 ounces of yams
- 10 oz red bean paste
- 1 ½ cups glutinous rice flour
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup white sesame seeds
- 2 TBS. Granulated sugar
- ½ cup hot water
Peel the yams and boil them till tender.
- Mash the potatoes
- Sift the two flours together
- Mix flour with sugar and yams.
- Knead together, adding water slowly.
- Roll into small, individual sized balls and then flatten.
- Add a bit of red bean paste to the center of the flattened ball and then roll back into it's round shape.
- Dip ball sin cold water and then into sesame seeds to coat.
- Deep fry (low) until golden and enlarged.
- Drain and serve.
Top of Page
Back to Holiday Recipes