- 1 medium eggplant (approximately 1 lb.)
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 ounces Romano cheese - finely grated
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 ½ cup fine bread crumbs
- ¼ tsp. Dried basil
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Black Pepper
- 3 Tbs. Chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped onion
Cut eggplant lengthwise into quarters, and cut each quarter crosswise into 4 pieces.
- Combine the eggplant and a touch of salt in a large saucepan
- add water to cover, and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 6-8 minutes or just until pulp can be removed from peel.
- Carefully remove pulp, reserving peels.
- Mash pulp; set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add eggplant pulp and onion
- saute until tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in breadcrumbs, one half of Romano cheese, parsley, touch of pepper, and 1 minced garlic clove.
- Arrange reserved eggplant peels in a single layer in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons eggplant mixture onto each peel.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Place a saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium heat.
- Add 1 minced garlic clove; saute 30 seconds.
- Add tomato sauce, basil, salt and pepper to taste and cook just until heated. (3-4 minutes)
- Spoon sauce over eggplant; sprinkle with remaining cheese, and garnish with additional parsley,
- Serve warm.
- Approximately 8 servings.
Top of Page
Back to Vegetable Recipes