- 2 pounds carrots
- ½ cup crushed pineapple
- ¾ cup simple syrup (sugar water)
- Peel and finely slice carrots.
- Cook in slightly salted water until almost done.
- Crush pineapple in blender.
- Add to carrots.
- Cook another 15 minutes until soft.
- Add sugar syrup to taste. (or not at all)
There are many variations of this sweet concoction. In place of the carrots you can use raisins, prunes, sweet potatoes or any of a number of other choices.
In place of the simple syrup you may want to try honey.
Tzimmes are considered to be a sweet accompaniment to the main course at a Jewish feast.