Traditional Welsh Cawl
- Lard or bacon fat - 1 tbsp
- 2 Onions coarsely chopped
- 2 Parsnips roughly chopped
- 4 Carrots coarsely sliced
- 1 Rutabaga coarsely chopped
(the Welsh call it Swede)
- 1 lb. Brisket of beef or neck of lamb
- 12 Black peppercorns - 12
- 1 whole Clove
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- Water or stock ( to cover)
- 1 lb. Small new potatoes
- 4 thin Leeks
- Heat the lard or bacon fat in a large soup pot and brown the onions, carrots, parsnips and rutabaga
- Remove with a slotted spoon and brown the meat in the fat.
- Return the vegetables to the pot with the meat and add the bacon and herbs. Cover with water. Bring to the boil, skim and simmer for 2-3 hours.
- Add the potatoes 20 minutes before the end of cooking.
- Chop the slender leeks and reserve.
- To serve, put a piece of meat in each bowl, together with broth and vegetables,
- Garnish with lots of finely chopped raw leeks.
- Serve together with a hunk of cheese and bread.
Top of Page
Back to Main Dish Recipes