Mushroom Bread Pudding
- 2 TBS. butter
- black pepper to taste
- 12 ounces white sandwich bread, dried in low oven overnight and cut into cubes
- 2 lbs. Sliced fresh mushrooms (all one kind, or mixed varieties)
- 1 stalk celery, including leaves (chopped)
- 3 cups milk
- 6 whole eggs, beaten
- 3 TBS. chopped parsley
- 2 tsp. Poultry seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- In a skillet cook mushrooms in butter, stirring as needed.
- Continue to cook until mushrooms give off their juices (3-4 minutes)
- Add onion and celery and cook until mushroom juice has evaporated and onion is translucent. (10 minutes or so)
- Remove from skillet into large bowl.
- Stir in the milk.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, then add the parsley, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Gently stir in the bread cubes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes then pour into the prepared dish.
- Bake about 1 hour until the top is browned and a knife inserted in the center comes.
- Serve warm.
Top of Page
Back to Side Dish Recipes
Back to Thanksgiving Recipes