Old Fashioned Beef Stew
- 3 lbs. Beef shank cut into cubes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery veined and cut into ˝ inch pieces
- 4 carrots cut into ˝ inch pieces
- 5 potatoes cut into large dice
- 1 lb. Fresh green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4+ TBS flour (as needed)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (or A1 Steak sauce)
- ˝ tsp. Kitchen Bouquet Gravy
- Enough canola oil to braise the beef
Roll the beef cubes in flour so they are fully coated.
- Add canola oil to skillet and braise the meat until browned on all sides.
- Transfer the meat to a Dutch oven or stock pot and cover with water. Do not clean skillet.
- Add bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- In the same skillet the beef was cooked in, sauté the onions.
- Add the onions and any juices or drippings to the stock pot.
- reduce the temperature to a simmer and cook for approximately 4 hours allowing the beef to get fork tender.
- Add the remaining vegetables and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the liquid seasonings and cook for 45 minutes.
- Dissolve 4 TBS flour in a/2 cup very cold water. Stir out any lumps and add mixture to the stew.
- Stir over heat until stew thickens, about 5 minutes.
Top of Page
Back to Main Dish Recipes