- 1 cup onions, cut into chunks (not diced)
- 1 sweet potato or yam cut into chunks
- 2 carrots peeled and rough cut
- 1 lb Hubbard or acorn squash cut into chunks
- 1 cup parsnips cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic - whole
- 1 red bell pepper cut into chunks
- 1 green bell pepper cut into chunks
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 2 TBS lime juice
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 10 oz package frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sliced green onions (white AND green)
- 2 TBS parsley rough chopped
Combine together and cook onions, sweet potato, carrots, squash, parsnips, garlic, and 1 cup of broth in a covered pan for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 cup of broth, along with the bell pepper, tomato sauce, lime juice, and cayenne.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat.
- Cover pot and simmer until vegetables are tender. (10-15 minutes)
If stew sticks to pan or gets thicker than desired, add more broth as needed
- About 2 minutes before the stew is finished add the peas.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with green onion
NOTE: You can add more broth or water if the stew needs to be thinner, but remember this is a stew not a soup.
Top of Page
Back to Main Dish Recipes