Old Fashioned Tomato Tart
For Pastry Shell:
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 4 TBS unsalted butter, chilled, cut into cubes
- 4 TBS vegetable shortening, chilled
- 4 TBS freshly grated Parmigian cheese
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 6 to 10 TBS. ice water (as needed)
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup walnuts, broken into pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigian cheese
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup olive oil
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 6 to 8 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Extra basil leaves and cherry tomatoes (for garnish)
Instructions For Pastry Shell:
- To make the pastry shell: Combine all ingredients except water in food processor.
- Pulse until a coarse, meal-like consistency is formed.
- Continue processing and add water 1 tablespoon at a time until a ball of dough is formed.
- Wrap dough in a ball and allow to rest in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- After dough has rested (at least 1 hour), remove from refrigerator.
- Use a circular tart pan, 9 inches in diameter and 1 inch deep, with removable bottom.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil the size of the removable bottom.
- Roll dough out into 12-inch round. Lift dough into pan and press down edges, trimming off any excess.
- Pierce bottom with fork tines. Line pan with parchment or foil and fill with rice (or pie weights).
- Place tart shell in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Take shell from oven and remove pie weights and paper or foil.
- Return shell to oven and bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Remove rim of tart pan and cool pastry shell on a rack. (Tart shell may be made as much as one day in advance. Store covered at room temperature. )
To Prepare The Pesto:
- Combine pine nuts, walnut pieces and garlic in food processor.
- Chop ingredients coarsely.
- Add Parmigian and basil leaves and process until leaves are chopped.
- With processor running, add olive oil until thick paste is formed.
- Remove from processor bowl. (Pesto may also be made in advance. Store refrigerated in a covered container with a light film of olive oil on top of the pesto. )
Instructions For Assembling Tart:
- Place pastry shell on platter.
- Spread pesto evenly on bottom of shell.
- Arrange mozzarella slices in one layer evenly on top of pesto.
- Arrange tomato slices in concentric circles on top of mozzarella, starting at outside of pastry shell.
- Slice into wedges for serving and garnish with basil leaves and cherry tomatoes.
Top of Page
Back to Vegetable Recipes