- 1 Corned Beef Brisket 4-5 lbs.
- 2 onions
- 3 whole cloves
- 5-6 carrots
- Fresh parsley sprigs (about 4)
- 6-8 whole black peppercorns
- 3 lbs. Cabbage
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 TBS. prepared horseradish
- Peel the onion and insert the whole cloves into them.
- Use a large stock pot with enough water to cover the corned beef, onions, parsley and peppercorns.
- Cover and bring to a gentle simmer until tender - about 3 hours. DO NOT BOIL.
- Peel carrots and cut into pieces about 3 inches in length.
- Cut and core cabbage into wedges and add cabbage and carrots to the pot.
- Cover and simmer another 30 minutes until the cabbage is tender.
- While this is cooking combine the horseradish and sour cream.
- When the cabbage is tender serve the entire dish with some of the broth ladled over the top.
- Serve the horseradish sauce on the side.
NOTE: This will serve approximately 8 people. Add more cabbage or carrots as you wish. Many people add other root vegetables such as turnips or potatoes. If you choose to do this, add at the same time as the cabbage and carrots.
Top of Page
Back to Main Dish Recipes
Back to Irish Recipes