This traditional Irish fruit bread has also been called Railway Cake, Spotted Dick or Sweet Cake depending on the area you're in.
- 4 cups white flour
- 2 tsps of sugar
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Baking soda
- ½ cup raisins
- 1&½ cup milk (or buttermilk)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Sift the dry ingredients together and add fruit.
- Mix well.
- Make a well in the center of your dough and add the majority of the milk.
- The dough should be slightly soft, but not too wet and sticky.
- Once it has all come together put it on a floured board and knead very lightly for just a few seconds.
- Form the dough into a round shape about 1-½ inches deep.
- Cut a deep cross into the dough (necessary to let the fairies out!) Cut right into the sides of the bread.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 400 degrees and cook an additional 30 minutes - or until done.
- The bottom will sound hollow when completely cooked.
- Serve hot from the oven with lots of fresh, creamy butter and a good cup of tea!