- 2 TBS. butter
- 2 TBS. flour
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup Guinness Stout
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar Cheese.
- bacon (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a skillet and stir in flour.
- Cook on a low heat for a minute - but don't let it brown.
- Remove pan from heat and gradually beat in milk
- Once the milk has all been added, return the pan to the heat and stir just long enough to thicken the mixture.
- Stir in the mustard, honey and Guinness.
- Cook at a rather thigh heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add cheese and lower the heat.
- Stir until all cheese is melted.
- Spread thickly on 4 slices of bread and place in broiler or toaster oven for browning.
- If desired a slice of bacon (cooked) can be placed on the bread before the cheese mixture is placed on it.
Top of Page
Back to Irish Cooking