What's New
Arts & Leisure
Fashion & Style
House & Home
Professional Advice
Times of your Life
About Us
Search the Site

Psychiatrist or Psychologist
Advice from Kenneth G. Alexander

Q. What is the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist?

For that matter, when should I see a counselor or therapist? What do the terms mean?

A. A psychiatrist is a licensed physician who specializes in the treatment of mental disorders. This individual will sometimes prescribe medications to help people with their symptoms.

A psychologist is an individual who usually holds a PhD in counseling or psychology, and provides the majority of treatment through talking and listening. Counselors and therapists also have advanced degrees in the counseling and psychology fields.

If you are considering seeing a mental health specialist, ask your physician if there is someone they can recommend. If there is someone they trust, ask for their phone number and call them.

Most therapists will gladly answer any questions you have before the first "in person" visit.

Ask our Mental Health Expert a question

Top of Page

Back to Mental Health
Copyright 2004-2005 ClevelandWomen.Com. All Rights Reserved.
Questions or Comments? E-Mail us at: